Job Title: GIS Research Associate
Location: ITRE, NCSU – Raleigh, NC
Job description: Provide advanced geospatial analysis, mathematical modeling and GIS services and conduct research for motor carrier enforcement operational planning efforts. The ideal candidate will have a strong geospatial technology, statistical and research methods skillsets as well as excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Utilize advanced geospatial statistical methods to identify road segments with high commercial motor vehicle (CMV) crash risk for prioritizing personnel resources.
- Provide core GIS support for research projects – manage and build GIS models, scripts, and automation routines for various projects, respond to requests and mentor students.
- Conduct research spawned from existing and new geospatial analytic projects and publish in peer review journals. Extend existing research focused on identifying high risk carriers and enforcement effectiveness.
•Utilize advanced geospatial statistical methods to identify road segments with high commercial motor vehicle (CMV) crash risk for prioritizing personnel resources.
•Continue development of existing GIS crash rate layers. Explore and evaluate new methods for understanding how and why crashes are occurring (i.e. Hot Spot/Clusters, etc.).
•Research and develop predictive models (i.e. Empirical Bayesian) for identifying high probability crash locations.
•Develop quantitative methods for enforcement prioritization and modeling enforcement effectiveness.
•Update, maintain and improve GIS layers for prioritizing oversize/overweight truck enforcement objectives – reducing damage from overweight vehicles on road/bridge infrastructure
•Provide core GIS support for research projects – manage and build GIS models, scripts, and automation routines for various projects, respond to requests and mentor students.
•Desktop GIS – provide core geospatial capabilities for project needs, including mapping, workflows, ArcGIS Modelbuilder, scripting, automation, extensions, etc.
•Manage and Streamline GIS Layer Creation Workflow — Setup, manage and improve manual geocoding workflow to create CMV crash layers. Modify and improve existing models for generating enforcement, road, bridge condition and other reference layers. Create and edit “how-to” documentation
•On-Demand Requests – Actively respond to on-demand requests for data, maps and graphs. Translate requests into meaningful knowledge for clients. Utilize new technologies to provide stakeholders with easy to use and understand products. Assist non-technical clients with understanding results.
•Other – Mentor students assigned for support roles, assist with teaching GIS training classes as needed, cross train on ArcGIS Server map services and administration, etc.
•Conduct research spawned from existing and new geospatial analytic projects and publish in peer review journals. Extend existing research focused on identifying high risk carriers and enforcement effectiveness.
•Measures of Enforcement Effectiveness Study – Design research for measuring effectiveness of enforcement activities.
•Identify Truck Size and Weight (TSW) Performance Measures – Identify and prioritize performance measures for NCSHP TSW program to be used in web-based scorecard and analytics.
•Carrier Level Analysis – extend research to identify high risk carriers.
•Submit and Present Research Paper(s) – Write and submit one or more of the above analysis efforts in pier reviewed journals annually and present at national conferences.
- M.A. or M.S. in GIS Science, Geography, Mathematics, Statistics, Informatics, Data Analytics, Computer Science or related field
- Demonstrated proficiency with ArcGIS Desktop v10 or later (analysis workflows, geoprocessing, modelbuilder, Python, editing, mapping, etc.)
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Excellent working knowledge of applied statistical analysis with geospatial emphasis
- Working knowledge of SAS, Matlab, R and/or other statistical packages
- Ability to design and conduct applied research as well as write journal papers
- Familiar with networked IT systems and server technologies
- Familiarity with data analytics methodologies and techniques
- Self-starter with enthusiasm to learn and grow professionally
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions, learn new technologies and apply to work
- Excellent communication and presentation skills necessary for client interaction
- Ability to discover and implement solutions that translate questions into meaningful answers
- Ability to produce effective visualizations of quantitative data
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
How to apply: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/20043