Website Allegany County Government
This is a professional position which involves development and maintenance of a County‑wide Geographic Information System. The general responsibilities of the GIS Manager include supervising GIS personnel and workflows, assessing software and hardware needs, creating, maintaining, and distributing geospatial datasets and web solutions, administering GIS servers, advising and supporting County departments regarding GIS, and supervising GIS staff. The primary areas of activity include Planning, Public Works and Utilities, and E-911.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Manage the County’s Enterprise Geodatabase.
- Manage ArcGIS Server and web services.
- Create and maintain GIS data.
- Develop GIS workflows and solutions.
- Maintain and troubleshoot department PC’s.
- Provide mapping assistance to various County departments as requested.
- Collaborate with E‑911/house numbering division to develop E‑911 mapping.
- Create maps for others to incorporate into plans, reports, etc.
- Train others in the use of GIS and other software packages.
- Travel to meetings/GIS user group sessions out of town.
- Inventory and archive GIS data.
- Develop a County‑wide parcel database utilizing digital County tax maps.
- Plan for the acquisition of planimetric and ortho imagery data.
- Manage GIS staff and interns.
- Frequent use of geoprocessing tools and model builder.
- Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with other employees and the public. Ability to perform spatial and other analytical techniques within computer systems. Ability to use GIS hardware and software. Working knowledge of geographic and spatial analysis concepts, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, CAD, Cartography, Aerial Mapping, and various spread sheet and word‑processing programs in a Windows environment. Ability to develop and read maps, give mapping support to other departments upon request, and keep all of the hardware and software up and running for the GIS Office and the Department of Planning and Growth.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Planning, or a related field and 5 – 10 years GIS experience in Planning or a related field.
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling.
Possession of a valid Maryland Driver’s License and eligibility for coverage under the County’s motor vehicle insurance policy.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
To apply for this job please visit gov.allconet.org.