Website City of Meridian
Job Title: GIS Technician
Department: Public Works
Reports To: Asset Program Manager
Open Date: September 13, 2018
Close Date: Open Until Filled
Hiring Salary: $18.63 – $23.76 per hour, DOE
Salary Range: $18.63 – $27.91 per hour, DOE
Primary duties include input and editing of spatial and attribute data, conducting simple to complex spatial analysis, preparing maps using ArcView, ArcGIS or other GIS software. Work assignments are usually broad in scope and involve the use of good judgment and accuracy in making decisions. The incumbent performs work under the general supervision of the Asset Program Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Input and editing of spatial and attribute data associated with Public Works projects;
- Conduct simple to complex spatial analysis using GIS and/or CADD programs as part of the Engineering and Operations teams;
- Perform maintenance of the PW GIS databases and collect field data as required;
- Provide geospatial analysis and information to assist in Engineering and Operations staff with on-going projects;
- Assist users of the GIS System in support-required situations, report generation, and data validation;
- Assist PW GIS users with integrating and leveraging GIS capabilities;
- Develops data layers to provide information on graphic features and capabilities;
- Analyze and interpret mapping data to verify accuracy and completeness;
- Conduct user training to increase the skill and capability level in utilizing GPS and GIS;
- Provide feedback to PW GIS Analyst regarding issues, concerns, or problems with GIS application and utility in the PW Department;
- Collaborate with City-wide GIS group in achieving GIS objectives for the City of Meridian;
- Perform all work duties and assignments in accordance with City policies, procedures, and safety practices;
- Participate on cross-functional projects that address GIS usage or application;
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Requires Bachelor of Science degree in Geography, Planning, Engineering or Natural Sciences with specialization in GIS, or 2 – 5 years practical GIS experience without a degree; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Visio;
- Proficiency in GIS, ArcReader, ArcGIS Desktop or other GIS applications, skills and knowledge in working with civil engineering; computer aided design and drafting (CADD), and mapping;
- Must hold a valid Idaho Driver’s License and good driving record;
- Must demonstrate an attitude of cooperation in performance in work assignments, including adaptability, flexibility, problem-solving, work organization and time management; decision-making, proactive engagement with users, co-workers, and clients;
- Understand and apply safety practices and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient knowledge and ability in use of workstations land surveying conventions, mobile computing and GPS devices;
- Proficient knowledge of water and wastewater utility infrastructure and asset management systems;
- Assist Engineering and Operations staff in addressing and resolving technical and operational problems;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, co-workers, management, and the general public;
- Demonstrate trustworthiness and integrity.
- Licensing and Certifications:
- Must hold valid State of Idaho driver’s license.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment with moderate noise level. The employee in this class is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes and is occasionally subject to outside environmental conditions. The position also requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes which permits the employee to function in the general office and field environment to accomplish tasks;
- Constantly requires sitting at a desk for long periods of time, up to 8 hours;
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.;
- Requires clarity of speech and hearing, which permits the employee to communicate effectively;
- Requires sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to view computer monitors for extended periods of time;
- Requires sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a personal computer.
- Local travel is occasionally required via City vehicle.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com