City of Longview
The GIS Specialist’s role is to perform intermediate to advanced technical work providing technical support for GIS project implementation and operation, creating, testing and enhancing GIS applications, developing and administering web-based GIS applications, preparing GIS datasets, maps, database reports and specialized queries, developing and administering Utilities for Water, Sewer and Storm operations.
A GIS Specialist position requires a proficiency in both a GIS and customer service capacity. This position requires extensive knowledge and ability to perform a diverse array of complex GIS related work. This position requires an employee to be flexible, be able to multitask, think intuitively, implore time management and project management skills, and possess troubleshooting ability. Employee must be well versed in ESRI products and be able to work with GIS data effectively. This position requires working with many departments around the City as well as the public and other municipalities. An employee in this position should require minimal supervision and be able to use initiative and good work ethic to accomplish assigned tasks.
This position is covered under the EBA collective bargaining agreement, visit the website, www.mylongview.com for a copy of the agreement. A pre-employment background check will be conducted.
Essential Job Duties
- Regular attendance is an expectation of all positions.
- Creates, tests and enhances GIS operations; develops and administers web-based applications.
- Provides technical support for the implementation and operation of GIS projects.
- Evaluates user requirements for GIS; identifies and implements desktop and web applications.
- Conducts or coordinates end-user training.
- Develops and administers the Water, Sewer and Storm layers and databases.
- Writes and maintains reports; programs database reports, forms and queries.
- Prepares GIS databases, maps, database reports and specialized queries in support of various projects.
- Performs GIS analysis, modeling and reporting to support decision making.
- Generates, maintains and disseminates GIS layers.
- Operates and maintains GIS software and web-based applications.
- Designs GIS enterprise database and enforces data standards.
- Produces complex maps for user departments and outside agencies.
- Operates Helpdesk Ticketing system to track and respond to all GIS issues in the City.
- Pursues continuing education for technical and professional development.
- Trains users on new and existing GIS and ESRI products.
- Process Trimble GPS data from field staff
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- GIS Professional (GISP)
- Accredited GIS Certification
- ESRI Enterprise Geodata management
- Microsoft SQL (structured query language)
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/longviewwa/jobs/1968277/geographic-information-systems-gis-specialist →