Website Snohomish County, Surface Water Management
Snohomish County Surface Water Management (SWM) is seeking a highly motivated GIS Analyst to join our team.
SWM works in partnership with other local and regional agencies to improve Snohomish County now and for future generations. SWM provides a variety of programs and services for reducing road and property flooding and preserving and improving the health of Snohomish County’s water resources and natural systems. We focus on four areas of service:
- Clean water in rivers, streams and lakes;
- Habitat for fish and aquatic wildlife;
- River flooding and erosion;
- Stormwater drainage systems.
You can find us responding to water-quality problems and complaints, monitoring river levels during flood season, maintaining drainage systems, managing habitat improvement projects and more.
SWM desires a well-qualified GIS analyst to support our service areas by providing essential GIS services to a dynamic group of engineers, scientists, planners and technicians. We use GIS services applied to floodplain mapping, flood control infrastructure, storm water infrastructure, wetlands and streams, asset database management, and natural resource planning.
Successful applicants will have a background and experience in environmental sciences, geography, cartography and GIS. They will be able to work independently and as part of a team. We value the ability to analyze issues, develop solutions using creativity and ingenuity and clearly communicate complex data to varied audiences. Come join our team and build a career in the great northwest!
We are hiring one GIS Analyst and will create an eligibility register to fill future vacancies. The eligibility register will be active for six months. Job Duties
- Analyzes business needs of internal departments to define appropriate GIS products or services; designs and creates maps.
- Analyzes GIS application needs of departments by reviewing existing digital data and manually maintained data; identifies GIS digital data needs; performs complex or specialized data conversions, and determines type of work necessary to complete the project application.
- Designs and develops GIS project application procedures and custom programming as required; writes, tests, and executes those programs.
- Performs moderate to complex GIS analysis and geo-processing functions, including input, editing, manipulation, management, and analysis of spatial and tabular data; maintains data quality-assurance and quality-control standards.
- Performs and monitors spatial database processes, versioning, data backup, security, and archiving; monitors and tests data catalog for accuracy and usability; monitors system performance and maintenance.
- Prepares reports, maps, charts, and metadata to describe programming procedures, data requirements, and software functions.
- Assists with web map application configuration, interactive application development, user-acceptance testing, and training.
- Assists with the automation of repetitive geo-processing and map production tasks through the creation of automated workflow models.
- Trains staff and promotes the effective use of GIS products, datasets, and interactive-viewers; contributes to the development of training materials.
- Organizes data acquisition and coordinates enterprise-level GIS services, policies, standards, and procedures with County professionals and outside agencies.
- Operates GIS equipment, including large format printers, storage media, and viewing devices.
- Assists with updating, revising, design, and maintenance of maps, surveys, plats, legal descriptions, codes, decisions, and reports. Supports in the interpretation, digitization, acquisition, and processing of remotely sensed data, aerial photography, and satellite imagery.
- Researches and collects data from county and non-county sources for applications, products, and services.
- May lead project teams and/or coordinate production tasks of other GIS staff on a project specific basis.
- May collect field data using a Global Positioning System (GPS) or other equipment as needed.
- May be required to perform all the duties of subordinate classifications.
- Performs related duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, geography, computer science, engineering, planning, natural resources or related field; AND one (1) year of GIS or automated mapping experience; OR any equivalent combination of training and/or experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities. Must pass job related tests.
A valid Washington State Driver’s license may be required in some divisions for employment.
- current GIS technologies and industry trends
- analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills
- visual communication and data mapping theories
- GIS application development, programming, and/or GIS related technologies
- GIS production of complex cartographic and other spatial data displays
- GIS web-mapping applications served to internal and external users
- project management, planning, organization, and customer service skills
- database techniques to process and analyze geo-spatial datasets
- scientific research and data collection techniques
- User Acceptance Testing, metadata, hardware/software configurations, and GIS standards
- communicate effectively by oral, written, and by other graphical means
- read, understand, and apply technical manuals and procedures
- maintain required records and prepare necessary reports
- independently analyze problems and assist others in GIS analysis
- apply critical thinking and problem solving skills to business needs
- learn new programs, platforms, and tools to finish specific analysis and tasks
- complete multiple competing projects and meet deadlines
- effectively function as a team member
- analyze customer needs and business systems
- convey technical information to non-technical users
- train users in GIS products and promote GIS solutions
- work with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- understand disciplines of the assigned department and its divisions
See full description here:
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/snohomish?page=2 →