Website South Dakota Department of Public Safety
Under administrative direction, this individual will oversee, develop, and fulfill the GIS needs for the Department of Public Safety. The ArcGIS platform is a series of capabilities that bring together maps, apps, data and people to make smarter decisions and enable innovation. This position would coordinate, plan and provide leadership in the creation, acquisition, preparation, maintenance, documentation and administration of GIS data for Statewide DPS GIS projects. This individual will have the responsibility of assisting multi-agency-wide employees tasked with GIS work in addition to their own projects. Tasks to include training, providing guidance and technical advice to agency staff, coordinating GIS efforts with other State Departments during disaster situations, and continuing to look for ways for GIS to enhance and make DPS operations more efficient by displaying data in a more usable format.
This position will work in a normal office setting, but may require overtime and work outside of normal working hours. During a disaster response, this position will be required to work significantly extended hours.
Questionnaire: Applicants will be required to answer a series of job related questions when submitting an application for this job.
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A Bachelor of Science degree in Geographic Information Systems related programs or an equivalent education and experience is preferred. Experience in a GIS related field and Public Safety operations would also be beneficial.
- GIS infrastructure & data management;
- Esri platform;
- Python and SQL coding;
- reporting systems;
- Microsoft Office programs;
- business processes and work flows as it relates to DPS.
- operate a computer and job-related software;
- think criticaly, analyticaly, and logicaly.
- solve problems using various methods;
- oversee agency GIS projects and workloads to ensure progress is being made and deadlines met;
- teach and instruct others on processes and procedures.
- create reports, Crystal reports, SQL reports;
remain flexible with work tasks;
- be adaptible to an ever changing environment;
- be a good communicator among a wide variety of skill levels, groups and personalities;
- remain composed during stressful situations;
- seek out and initiate projects;
- have an overall organizational awareness and the effects on other areas of government;
- oversee, comprehend and analyze staff progress on projects;
- complete tasks on time and within budget;
- work on multiple projects at the same time;
- complete work assignments properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- teach users on software functionality;
- remain up-to-date on new software and functionality;
- communicate information clearly and concisely.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit http://bhr.sd.gov/workforus/workbenefits.aspx
Apply at: http://tinyurl.com/y6vhuyq4
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.