Website Strathcona County
As an integral member of the GIS Branch, the GIS Project Manager will coordinate, plan and direct the execution of small and medium scale projects towards the achievement of business goals and objectives, from the conceptual identification phase to post-implementation. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party consultants in order to deliver projects. The GIS Project Manager will provide input to the County’s Enterprise GIS Portfolio/Programs and is responsible for providing GIS technology services and support to County departments, staff, citizens and businesses in a timely and customer-focused manner.
- Contribute to the leadership of the County’s Enterprise GIS portfolio including working with the Geospatial Application and Data Analyst/Architects in the development and execution of the respective roadmaps, working with client departments in the development and execution of their respective Geospatial technology roadmaps.
- Provide a leadership role in recommending and developing implementation strategies of GIS software/emerging technologies. The objective being to evolve and leverage GIS technology to meet changing corporate business needs.
- Stay current on department wide changes to data and systems architecture
- Assist with the development of the GIS branch strategic and operational plans
- Consistently focus on quality and innovation and proactively responding to growth and emerging needs
- Apply project management methodology and tools to plan and execute projects of varying scale and complexity
- Define project scope, goals, timelines, communication plan and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
- Ensure prioritization and alignment of initiatives and that overall projects meet business and financial goals
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary
- Develop excellent working relationships with team members and business partners through continuous, consistent, and open communication
- Act as subject matter expert and coach to other team members, as well as other parts of the organization in regards to our project management methodology
- Maintain awareness of rapidly changing technology trends, industry trends, directions, and best practices
Skills and Abilities
- Strong business acumen and problem-solving skills; capacity to fully analyze departmental operations and objectives, understanding the problems and identifying potential improvements, for disparate municipal departments with varying levels of complexities and dependencies
- Proficient at developing project charters, project requirements, detailed project plans, and other project management documentation as described in project life cycle methodology
- Solid understanding of GIS principles and practices
- Familiar with GIS data development, manipulation, and management
- Broad understanding of implementing GIS web mapping applications
- Possess the political acumen necessary to present ideas, solicit input, negotiate compromise, influence decisions, and garner support of senior level executives and/or initiative stakeholders in terms and manners that will be well received and provide desired results
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
- Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and switch between tasks quickly
- Degree in Geography, Geographic information Systems (GIS), Information Technology (IT) or a related field along with 3 years related experience or a similar two-year diploma along with 5 years related experience
- Minimum of 3 years of Project Management experience in a GIS and IT environment
- PMI Certification (PMP) or (CAPM) certification would be considered an asset
- GISP Certification or ESRI Certification would be considered an asset
The annual salary range for this temporary full-time position is $77,623 to $97,042, working 35 hours per week.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #230-2018-EXT-ITS closes August 22, 2018.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We contact only candidates selected for interviews.
To apply for this job please visit www.strathcona.ca.