Website University of Maryland
The Food Security and Agriculture Consortium (FSAC) will address various aspects of the application of Earth Observations (EO) to domestic and global agriculture and food security. FSAC aims to address these issues through innovative research and by engaging end users in using EO-derived information for agriculture. This geospatial applications developer will join the existing development team in support of the FSAC at the University of Maryland. The developer will be essential to the design and implementation of an FSAC Portal which will serve as a repository for data generated by the project partners as well as a platform for public data discovery. The developer will also be responsible for providing programming and GIS support to ongoing projects such as the GEOGLAM Crop Monitor and GLAM NDVI system.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, or Computer Science
- Strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a small development team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of proven software design principles
- Successfully and consistently implements best practices for coding guidelines, standards, protocols and conventions
- Web application development experience
- Object oriented design/programming experience
- Python and PHP experience, particularly in web frameworks
- Familiarity with server- and client- side development
- Experience with responsive web layouts, and graphic design
- Experience using REST APIs
- Experience with relational databases
- Master’s degree in GIS or Computer Science
- Experience with Linux Operating Systems
- Experience with PostgreSQL and/or PostGIS
- Basic usage of ArcGIS (Desktop and Server) and ArcPy
- Applied knowledge of all layers of the full GIS web stack technology
- Experience with Leaflet web mapping API
- Familiarity with enterprise geodatabase design
- Experience publishing and using datasets via ArcGIS Server
- Experience with open source web GIS software (QGIS, GeoServer)
To Apply: For best consideration, submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by December 19, 2017 to https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/56594.
Additional Salary Information: This position is a 12-month, full-time exempt status. Excellent benefits package, including health insurance, sick and annual leave, retirement subsidy, and tuition remission.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/56594 →